Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Golden Compass or Satan's Compass?

Who has heard of this, the Catholics are boycotting the movie Golden Compass because the author of the book it is based on is an atheist. What type of crap is that? That would be like saying that they aren't going to look at the Mona Lisa because it was painted by a homosexual. This is taking it too far, once they ban a book based on the author's unstated beliefs they start down a slope that won't stop until we have a Fahrenheit 451 type situation. If they want to start banning everything that is offensive soon we will have nothing worth reading left. Quite frankly banning a book publicly is the stupidest thing a church can do. They should try banning the bible, more people would read it then. Honestly, what can they gain by this? I haven't seen the movie, and more than likely I won't. Nor will I read the book. But I cannot stand to hear a person judged merely by their professed beliefs. I will come right out and say I am not a Christian. I will also tell you I am not an Atheist. The problem with all religions is that they tend to force you into a rigid belief structure without explaining why. Look at the Catholics with The DaVinci Code, they revolted against it. Was there anything in there? No. I read it. I was also raised a Catholic and know more about the history of the church than I should. Guess how much was accurate? A fair amount, but how much of that was controversial? Got news for you, the Templars existed. Oh yes, their real riches weren't found in the Holy Land. They were the bankers. But I digress.

The Catholics tend to over react. This just pushed me the wrong way. I know for a fact that judging someone based on whether they call themselves something or not is a bad idea. I have been judged negatively because I don't call myself Christian. It was assumed I didn't have any morals and was a 'bad' person. Am I? Heavens no. Is a person bad or immoral because they are an Atheist or other non-believer? No.

Just some food for thought to everyone out there, if we ban all that could be offensive we leave nothing of any value. Realize that, in America, our greatest strength is our ability to think for ourselves. To the Christians out there I challenge you, prove to the Atheists you are right. To the Atheists, prove you are right. To both, do it politely and logically.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"His Dark Materials" is a great series; I highly recommend them to anyone who enjoys fantasy novels. Don't know if you do, but they are good.

If there's one thing I cannot stand, it's censorship in books, movies, music, and video games. When livejournal had its "strikeout" last summer, a girl compiled a list of books with controversial material in it, and I was surprised as how many books that had received awards or were deemed as "classics" made it into the list. You're absolutely right: banning the "His Dark Materials" series is the dumbest thing they could do, because it will only make their youth want to read them even more. It's how rebellion works.