Monday, January 7, 2008

Windows Licensing

I run a Mac. Why? Cuz I prefer them over Windows. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm saying one is better for ME than the other. But I still have to use Windows occasionally on my Mac. I own 2 XP Pro licenses and 1 Vista Ultimate license. Now should I not be allowed to use those licenses for whatever I choose? Microsoft says no. They say that my license is invalid if I change the virtual machine settings in Parallels. Why is that? Piracy. Ok guess what, at this point I think it would be more time efficient to pirate Windows than to go and argue with them about it. Why? Simple, I tried doing it the right way and they caused me a problem. Why is that? Because they are worried about piracy. This gets into the same reason DRM fails. If they are going to tell me how I am allowed to use something I purchased why should I purchase it from them when I can get it somewhere else and not be forced into their restrictive license? So I will TRY to do it legit one more time and if it takes more than 30 minutes on the phone with them I am officially DONE dealing with Microsoft.

No comments: