Friday, December 28, 2007

Mac Mighty Mouse Review

So today I went out and purchased a Bluetooth Mighty Mouse. Quite frankly I like it, I find the lack of visible buttons to be a slight annoyance when trying to find which end of the mouse I am holding but aside from that I have to admit, it is a nice mouse.


Usability: This mouse has had no problems, the options to configure it are quite useful and have a lot of power behind them. It can be quite sensitive and is more accurate than anything I've used before. The scrolling on the mouse is wonderful. Especially if you work on large images and scroll around a lot. The buttons are a little hard to find at times, sometimes I will click what I THINK is the middle button and it is actually the right click button. Really wouldn't suggest this mouse for gaming though. The side buttons are an interesting addition, squeeze the mouse it does something, nice idea. Quite frankly it is poorly implemented and I probably won't use it much. Too much force is required. If they made them more sensitive it would be more useful.

Ergonomics: Ok, this is an issue for me, I spend a large amount of time using a mouse for doing stuff in Illustrator and 3ds Max. If a mouse is uncomfortable in my hand I'm not gonna use it. I have a trackpad and am fully able to use it as efficiently as a mouse. It just is more tiring. This mouse fits in my hand, but I have small hands. So personally, I would go try one out in the store before buying one. The real gripe is those side buttons.

Style: Face it, Mac is about pretty things. Deny it all you want, your Mac gets you horny. So you want a mouse that when you put your hand on it turns you on more. This mouse will. Unlike most mice it is smooth and rounded as opposed to some monstrosities that basically suck your hand into them with all their holes and stuff. Only complaint about the styling, only one color. Remember the old saying, "You can have any color you want as long as its beige," yeah not what I expected from Apple. I have a Macbook Pro, it is made out of aluminum, I don't want a white mouse. I want more metal. What about those people who paid the $200 extra for a Blackbook? Do they want a white mouse? No way. So here is my plea to Apple, come out with either skins for the mouse, or release it to match the colors of your products.

Overall, I like the mouse. It is really responsive, very accurate, and most importantly simple to use. Oh, and the reason I went with Bluetooth is because I have a serious lack of USB ports. Seriously, I know we have a Firewire 400 and Firewire 800 port too but most things come as USB unless you pay like $20 or more extra. So, Apple, give me another USB Port. Oh and while
I'm griping about the MBP, who's idea was it to put the slot loading drive in the front? And how about a card reader? Just some personal complaints. Nothing major.

No comments: